1.14.2011

Ice, Ice, Baby

This weeks report is full of it.  Ice has taken over the river and very few stretches are open.  Thankfully we have had a day or two where the temps have actually gotten above freezing so there are a couple stretches that are fishable.  I took a drive up the river this week not expecting to do any fishing.  Last time I was out there were no fish rising and I didn't find enough fishable water for me to even break out the rod.  I expected this weeks drive to be much the same.

About halfway up the canyon, still looking for any sign of rising fish and coming up empty I spotted something interesting standing on an ice shelf in the middle of the river.  By the time I got the truck stopped, backed up, and the camera out it had taken off but I managed to get this picture of a nice big bald eagle.

Continuing up the canyon I stopped at one of my favorite spots.  In my last report just before Christmas I had caught a couple fish here but as I broke through the brush I could see it wasn't going to happen this day.  The picture below shows the ice over the top of a run that held at least 7 feeding fish last time I was here. 

Another Shot of an Icy River

Finally I stopped at a run that I have had good luck with finding rising fish but I thought for sure it would be iced over as it is a fairly calm bend.  Even the riffles were frozen solid in some places so I figured there would be no way this place would be ice free.  I could see though, as I approached, several Ducks swimming in the run, so I knew that was a good sign.  When I pulled the truck up and hopped out I was greeted by a welcome sight.  One hundred yards of very accessible water.   The only thing I needed now were the fish to cooperate.  The surface was pretty calm and so I decided to walk slowly down the bank and see if anything showed up.  I had just turned my back on the river to duck under some brush when I heard a slurp.  Quickly I turned back to see the dissipating ripples left by a rise.  Then the white mouth of a nice fish appeared again and took another midge from the waters surface.  That's all it took to get me in gear.  I slowly backed away from the bank then sprinted to my pickup, jumped into my waders, and grabbed my fly rod.  A couple minutes later I was hooked up with my first fish of 2011. 
Happy New Year!
 The fish kept rising but I went through a dry spell after that fish was landed.  Then just as I was about to leave, and call it a day, another fish took my fly and fish number 2 came to hand.  This fish was nearly a carbon copy of the first.  In fact I had to compare the pictures to be sure they weren't the same fish, but it turns out it's pretty obvious they are not. 
Fish Number 2



There is something very satisfying about fooling fish in the dead of winter on a dry fly.  It is one of the most rewarding things I have done as far as fishing goes.  I am beginning to really enjoy the winter fishing season.  As long as there is open water.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Hey Benji,

Nice photos!

Has the water cleared up over there? I'm heading over this Wednesday.

-Mark

Benji said...

Mark,
The last time I was up there was on Thursday and it was pretty muddy on the lower half but the upper half of the river was in good shape. I did end up fishing pretty close to the dam and the water was crystal clear up there.
Benji