2.08.2011

It's been slow

I have not gotten out and done much fishing lately.  Things are busy, but today I managed to sneak away for a bit. 

It was not the hottest action I have ever had but the fish were there.  I found a nice run with fish rising all over to midges easy enough.  I waded in and proceeded to flog the water for nearly an hour with very little of what I would call, results.  Just a couple fish that nosed the tiny midge pattern I was using but no full on slurps, and with the number of natural insects on the water it was a bit overwhelming to imagine my little pattern getting picked out of all those choices.  To top things off the fish were not setting up in a feeding lane but feeding on the move making it a game of anticipation and timing.  Both of which I apparently lacked today.  Finally I decided I was tired of that game and I went with a set up that hardly ever fails me when fish are snacking on midges.  I tied on a nice sized parachute adams with a easily visible white post and dropped a #18 zebra midge off the back of it with about 18 inches of tippet.  Sure enough a few casts later I was hooked up on the midge pattern.  It capped what had been a bit of a frustrating outing but let me finish things off on a positive note.  So for the first time in a few weeks here is an actual fish picture.

3 comments:

Mark said...

I fished the river yesterday and it was a bit slow. Landed one 20 inch fish though. Starting to finally warm up.

Benji said...

It has been slow so far this month. I have been comparing my notes to this time last year and it has been far more hit and miss. Last February was actually one of my better months up there, but this year it has been meager. I went up today and managed another single fish on a Zebra Midge but that was it. Very slow.

Mark said...

For me as well, last February was pretty solid. So far this year, I have yet to catch any fish on zebra midges, which is usually my #1 go to fly for spring. Larger attractor flies like wooly buggers have been producing best.