6.14.2011

Two Wheeling!

A little deviation here from my usual posts. This weekend brings us fathers day, and I have to share a simple little moment we had this week that stirred up a few emotions.

Nothing makes a dad prouder than to see your kid struggle to grasp a concept, then to see the light bulb go on and witness the transformation from frustration, to supreme confidence. Last night as I watched my oldest boy learn to ride his bike without training wheels it became one of those moments that you want to hold onto forever. Learning to ride your bike is a simple childhood rite of passage, and one I didn't expect to mean so much to me, but for some reason this little milestone really brought home the fact that he's growing up so fast.

I admit to having my own doubts as my wife insisted we try to take off his training wheels before our evening walk around the neighborhood. As he struggled to make it once around the block even with me holding on to the seat most of the way, my doubts grew. There were plenty of "I can't do this" moments, and a few tears shed, but then all of a sudden the switch flipped and the whole family shared in the excitement as he took off racing down the street in front of our house. I don't know what made me happier, the fact that he succeeded or just simply seeing how proud and excited he was the rest of the evening. Good times.

Good job Keaton. Dad's proud of you.

No comments: