6.27.2010

Fishing Journal - Week 19

June 22
A good morning on the river.  I got up early and arrived at my favorite morning run at 6:30am.  Things were just getting started as I saw a couple subtle rises in the early morning light.  My first drift of the morning yielded a nice little brown and made me forget that on the drive over I had been wondering if getting up early this morning was going to be worth it.  It was.



It turns out things were just getting started.  After landing this little guy I noticed things had really picked up and there were quite a few fish rising through the run.  The midges were popping and the fish were right on them.  A few moments later I landed another fish a little lower down on the run that went a bit larger than the first one.

I moved up to the top of the lower run and again hooked up with a nice fish on my adult midge pattern.  Three fish on dry flies in the early morning and I was getting ready to pack it up and head into the office.  Well then I noticed that things were really boiling in the run above where I was fishing, so I decided I needed to give it a try.  Fish here were on emergers so all my fish came on the floating midge emerger pattern I used.  I tied into another nice fish in short order. 

 Soon after the biggest fish of the morning came to hand. 
When it was all said and done I had had one of my better outings of the year on a mid June midge hatch.

June 24
Another early Morning outing and it started out right as I waded into the water I immediatly spotted a nice fish sipping in ankle deep water right against a small island close to the near bank.  My first good drift was taken by the good fish and a great fight ensued.  

Good way to start the morning

I went on to land three more fish on the morning but this was my largest.  The mornings are still hopping around here.


No comments: