6.20.2010

Fishing Journal - Week 18

June 13
A pretty good day.  I will let the pics speak for themselves.

All sipping dry flies (PMD's) right up until dark. 

June 14
Another lunch hour outing and it was a pretty good one.  No photos and the fish were not rising so I had to go with nymphs.  Had one fish take a couple times on a PMD dry right off the bat but after that saw very few fish up.  I switched over to a double nymph rig with a PT Tumbler and my Bionic Partridge and hooked up with two very nice fish that worked me over in the fast water I hooked them in.  I got them both within net range at least once and missed allowing them to eventually get free.  Just a better way to catch and release I guess.  Because I started with dry flies and was too lazy to go up and get my other rod I was nymphing with my three weight and it just wasn't up to the task of pulling those big fish out of the fast current as efficiently as the 5 weight. Next time I have to nymph I definitely need to put down the toothpick and pick up the broomstick. 

June 15
A morning outing again.  Fish were rising to midges like they have been the past few mornings but the midges were about three hook sizes smaller than they had been as well and thus my size 18 pattern was obsolete.  I did hook and land one fish and had two more take the fly but eventually lost them both.  Three fish hooked, one landed.  Still not a bad way to start the day.  

No comments: