2.27.2010

Fishing Journal Week 3

February 23
A bit of a disappointing day on the water. My first skunking in a while. It was a beautiful day but the sun was very bright and the water was very clear. The wind was also blowing a bit and all these added up to not much happening on the surface. I tried anyway and did get a few takes that I missed as they were just lightly grabbing the fly. I switched up my flies a bit as I went with the RK Emerger as a dropper instead of my usual Zebra Midge. Midges where hatching in mats on the river but evidently the fish where not too excited about it. All in all it was still good to get out and get some fresh air though.

February 24Fish were rising at the tailout of a riffle right as it dumped into a large deep pocket with big Boulders sticking up. I took a 12 incher out of the lower part of the run with an RK Emerger dropper. A little further up an 18 incher took the Skwala pattern off the surface. It was a real skinny fish. I think the females are the thin ones as I have caught some real fat healthy looking fish and some real skinny beat up ones. The females look like they had a tough spawn then went right into the winter season. Good outing though.



February 25
Another fairly slow day on the river. Fish were not rising except for in the same small slot they were in all week in the tail out in the big boulder pool. I had one take the RK Emerger lower down in the smoother water but I didn't connect with the hook point. Finally I switched my trailer fly to a Zebra midge and had a large fish take on my first cast up higher in the riffle in the more choppy stuff. I fought it for long enough to know I tied into a heavy fish before it broke the 4x tippet I had my dropper tied onto. It was disappointing but on one of my next casts in much the same spot I hooked into another fish. This one I finally landed but it was a small guy. A 12-13 incher that fought hard on my three weight.

No comments: