2.21.2010

First Steelhead

Saturday morning my friend Jeff and I got up early to see if we could awaken any Steelhead on the Little Salmon River. It turns out we hit it right. I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to Steelhead but for some reason I felt good about this trip once I got over my usual feeling that Steelhead are a made up fable much like unicorns and fire breathing dragons.

Everything went off without a hitch, and we arrived on the water just at day break. It only took three casts on this morning to make me a believer. As my indicator dipped below the surface and I brought the rod tip up half expecting to be hooked on a decent sized rock my rig had just passed over I was greeted with the heavy tug that was definately not a rock. The fish made several powerful surges and put a good bend in my fly rod, but after a few minutes I was able to bring the hatchery born, 27 inch buck to hand.

It was a morning to remember, catching my first steelhead, on a fly rod, and on a fly I had tied. Here are a few pics of the morning.


Hooked up





6 comments:

Tom said...

So, the natural question now becomes - are unicorns and fire breathing dragons real, too? Hmmmm...

Mike Ansel said...

Nice fish and great pictures. I've caught 8 steelhead here in Michigan over the years, but none had the color yours does. Are they the same fish?

Terry Scoville said...

Nice Steelie. That fish has some miles under his gills that's for sure. I fish mainly on the Rogue Rv in southern Oregon for Summer and Fall Steelhead. They are very special indeed and typically far between one another, especially on a fly. I caught a Winter Steelie on the Salmon Rv near Shoup many years ago. That fish looked more like one of my knee high tube socks after all its miles. Still cooked up tasty as ever. Congrats!

Blake said...

Great work man, I too hooked into my first steelhead this year. I guess you are hooked for life just like me. Cant wait for those skwalas, Ill see you on the O.

Blake said...

Hey quick question for ya: Does the Little Salmon have good access all the way north to Riggins on 95? I will be in McCall this weekend and thinking of heading over there. I know there are some waterfalls on that river. Is the fishing good from those all the way north to Riggins? Not looking to steal your good spots but any info you would have for this newbie on the little salmon would be awesome!
Thanks!

Benji said...

Blake,
The river is very accessible along 95 all the way up to Riggins. I am no expert on the river by any means, but I have always fished up closer to Riggins itself. I do think this time of year though there will be plenty of fish that have pushed up higher on the river so really it should be pretty good from the water falls all the way north to Riggins. This fish was caught just downstream from the Rapid River confluence with the Little Salmon. Good luck!