11.02.2008

Owyhee River 11/1/08


My Brother Todd with his first fly caught Owyhee Brown

My typical catch for the day was much smaller than usual.

Well my brothers and I went out for a day fishing on the Owyhee River this weekend. It was a fun time as usual but the fishing was slow. The morning was especially slow. Many of the Browns are spawning this time of year but there were plenty of fish off the redds feeding in the long slow stretches. I was frustrated all morning by a midge hatch with fish so finicky I nearly deemed them impossible to catch. Finally about 2:30 in the afternoon I got into a pod of fish feeding on a very nice BWO hatch and managed to land several fish but they were all much smaller than I usually see on the Owyhee. In the last hour I managed to pick off four 12-14 inchers during the hatch and called it a day. It was a fun time out on the river with my brothers even with the fishing being slow. Todd landed his first Owyhee Brown on a fly, a nice 18 incher that gave him a good fight, and Tom landed the most fish on the day.

1 comment:

Tom Sorenson said...

Of course Tom landed the most fish on the day. He's that kind of guy. Just kidding - that was an awesome trip - I had forgotten how much I enjoy trout fishing - even river fishing in general. I've got to do it again before winter. Sorry I couldn't cut it as a fly fisherman - I tried! And I'll try again, but I found one thing to be true - I love to catch fish!