7.11.2010

Fishing Journal - Week 21

July 7

Finally got out again after taking some time off for the July 4th Holiday.  The bugs were still hatching and the fish were still eating.  The only difference today was that there was a BWO hatch in the wee hours of the morning and the fish were up on the mayflies rather than the midges.  Midges were also hatching but it took 5 minutes of casting my midge patterns over actively feeding fish to realize something else was going on.  I still hadn't seen any BWO's but when I am getting refusals and fish are munching on something I don't see I often go with a CDC Spinner fly.  It does a good job of imitating a dead mayfly floating flush on the surface and these early morning fish will take the easy meal everytime.  It was one of my first casts after the switch that I hooked into a nice 19" fish. 



Then as I released that fish I noticed for the first time a BWO floating down the river and I wondered if that was in fact what most of these fish were feeding on.  I quickly switched flies again and from there on things really picked up.  I ended up landing 6 fish on the day and all were very nice fish. 



July 9

Things can change fast here on the river.  Two days ago the fish were up on BWO's.  Today I was having no luck with my BWO pattern.  I decided to try midges again and on the first cast with my Harrop's Transitional Midge I hooked a nice fish.  A couple casts later I pulled the hook out of the mouth of another taker.  At the end of the day 4 more fish came to the net with the little #20 midge pattern.

No comments: