10.06.2009

An Interesting Trout Tidbit

So have you ever wondered how far trout can wander? I really haven't thought too much about it until I read Thursday's edition of the Idaho Statesman's Outdoor section. In their weekly "Ask Zimo" segment he mentions a fish tagged in Brownlee Creek that migrated up Brownlee Reservoir before they lost contact with the radio tag. Eventually the fish turned up in the Weiser River near Cambridge. That's about 106 miles from my calculations and through a lot of Bass and Catfish water, not exactly good trout water.
I understand this is not an unheard of journey for a fish that has very close relatives (Steelhead)that routinely travel multiple river systems and thousands of miles to reach their spawning grounds. However it did give me a new perspective on the fish I catch and where they really live. Probably not in one specific hole.

No comments: