3.17.2009

Finally a Fishing Trip

I finally was able to get out on the river for the first time since early November and do a little fishing. We headed up to the Owyhee mid afternoon yesterday hoping to find fish looking up for skwala's. Once on the river it was obvious that if the skwala's were starting to hatch they were not very prolific yet as I did not see a single one. Stubbornly though, Kelly and I each tied on a fly meant to mimic the skwala anyway. We found that there were a couple fish looking as forward to the skwala hatch as we were as they fell victim to what was probably the first adult stonefly they had seen this year . I landed a couple fish using a zebra midge dropper off my skwala right off the bat. Here are a couple pictures of the trip.

The first fish I have ever caught on a fly I tied, this skwala pattern:


Getting ready for the release.

Things slowed down considerably at the end of the day but it was great to get on on the water again and catch a few fish looking up for big bugs that hadn't really even started hatching yet.

1 comment:

suzee said...

Looks like you had a great time!Let me know the next time you go...