8.16.2008

Middle Fork of the Boise River Round 2

A vibrant native 10" Rainbow. This is probably the average fish we caught size wise. Notice the white tips on the fins. That is a trait that seems common on the Middle Fork 'bows.

Well today my brother Todd and I hit the road for some mountain stream fly fishing action. Todd is just learning the sport and this is a good river to do that on. He got things started right by landing the first fish of the day within our first 10 minutes on the water. It was a nice little 11 inch Bull Trout. Quite a thing to have your first fish caught on a fly out of a river be the ever elusive Bull Trout. Things were slow at first after the initial burst of action but they picked up when we moved to a new spot. All told on the day I caught between 15 and 20 feisty native Rainbows and a lonely wild Cutthroat. Most where in the 10 to 11 inch range but a couple pushed over a foot long. I hooked into a very nice fish I am guessing would have easily gone 16" but after an impressive aerial display, jumping three feet out of the water four seperate times, it got free. Todd had a long dry spell after his Bull Trout but then got things figured out and landed 5 fish in the span of about a half hour towards the end of the day. It was nice to get out and see some beautiful country but for some reason I again did not take many pictures. I guess when the fishing is hot it is hard to take time to snap the shutter. Sometime I need to get some pictures of the area as it is some neat country.

No comments: