6.24.2008

How's this for a way to unwind after work?

Kelly and I hit the Owyhee this evening after work and, what do you know, the fishing was on fire! Kelly caught a big fish that I estimate at 22-23 inches on one of his first casts with a big streamer and it all snowballed from there. We each caught about 5 fish in 3 short hours but we fought and lost at least as many and had as many again make a hard strike only to be gone. The smallest fish of the day was an 18 inch football that came completely out of the water as soon as he slammed my white zonker. I had never seen a Brown put on that kind of aerial display until one of the last fish of the day for me did a tail walk that was purely amazing. He made a big run downstream and my drag was zinging even as he broke water and crashed back into the river. Another crazy fish did some fancy stuff I could hardly believe. Right before we left for the night I had a big brown do a circus act with my streamer. I could have sworn he popped the thing out of the river with his nose and then jumped out of the water to grab it in mid air. In my dumbfounded stupor I failed to properly set the hook on him so he spit it before I could even get a tussle out of him but it was quite a sight to see. All the rest of our fish would go between 20 and 22 inches. They were a bunch of hawgs. What a night....











3 comments:

Tom Sorenson said...

Wow! That's awesome! Those look like a bunch of hogs. That one with the big hump in its back - must be the football fish - looks like a brute, for sure!

Benji said...

The true football fish was the first pic where all you really see is his head. It was 18" but about as fat as you can get at 18". I assume the one in the net is the one you are talking about when you say it has a hump in it's back. That one was actually pretty average on depth to the others we caught, so yes it was deep too, but it was one of the longest of the day as well. It is hard to get a scale in that net but it was a big fish. I would guess pushing 22". The third fish in my hand does not look near as big as it is because it's body curves away from the camera but that was a very nice fish, 20" exactly as that is how long my net is and when I laid it next to the net it was right on the button. I didn't get a picture of the Monster Kelly caught as it was too big for my little net and ended up flopping away before we could get a handle on it. You will have to bring your fly rod and video camera over sometime and give it a go. That river when it is on is really on. Then again it can be off as well, just ask Todd.

MSue and BMcD said...

Thanks Benji! The pics on your page are awesome, and I cannot believe you are a daddy with the two cutest kids ever! Brian and I were hoping to get to Parma this year, but obviously it didn't work out. Stay in touch! Tell Kyla I say hello!