9.22.2007

The Owyhee River



Not all of my posts will be about fishing but it could end up being a majority. I made my first fly fishing trip to the Owyhee River today. It is such a different river to fish than anything I am used too. The fish seem to hold in areas that I would have never expected. I can't say the action was hot. I caught a fat 20" Brown in the first hour on the river but after that could only get the occasional follow. No other takers. I found out I have a lot too learn though as there were fish feeding on the surface most of the day. After throwing the whole fly box at them without success I was left scratching my head. Maybe I need a few more times on the water to figure out these finicky fish.


Here are a couple more pictures from the river:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Benji, Benji, Benji...tsk, tsk.

I can tell you EASILY how to catch fish on this river. You don't throw flies at these fish! Big, flashing spoons, spinners, and such with giant treble hooks are the way to go. Then gently release them to live another day.

Joking of course. Sort of. Too bad we were gone that weekend, it woulda been fun to join you. I haven't actually fished that river this year. I know some very good spots, too. Maybe next time.

Tom

Benji said...

Oh yeah anyone can catch a fish with a big flashy piece of metal.

Joking but you will have to try the fly fishing Tom. It is a whole new game and it makes you really think about what the fish are doing. Trust me as a lifelong spinner chucker you would like the added dimension fly fishing brings to the sport.

Saturday was very frustrating because the fish were feeding on something very specific and I obviously did not have it in my fly box. I may have had the right insect but not in the right stage. Probably needed some emergers as they were not actually sipping bugs right off the surface. They were just under the surface and when the fish would rise only his dorsal fin would break the water as they went back down. Not sure lures would have even caught fish as I threw big streamers at them that are made to imitate baitfish. That is what I had a lot of fish following but no takers but the one I caught early.

Anonymous said...

Maybe. I just like to catch fish, and I'm afraid I might get frustrated at not being able to toss my proven BlueFox at them if I can't catch them on a fly!

By the way, we got a buck on Tuesday. Cody dumped him and I got it on film. I'm pretty pumped about that. You gonna get any deer hunting in? Lemme know - I might have to follow you around with the camera.

Tom